Saturday, January 10, 2009

Irv Spector's Coogy, in Living Color

Here's a wordless Coogy strip in color. My father didn't do too many Coogy's sans dialogue. This one I kind of like for being rather simply stark and direct in both artwork and gag. The Tribune eventually began to pressure him into being less wordy. That was a bit tough for him to do, as at this point in his motion picture animation career he was already moving more into story than straight animation as the writer within him began to emerge. Being involved with story in one form or another would stay with him through the end of his career. That's good for us, since this Coogy is meant to occupy you while I prep my next post -- a Paramount/Famous storyboard.


From May 10, 1953:

(bigger is better -- click to enlarge)

You may have never seen a color Coogy unless you've been over to All Things Ger, which is where I swiped it. In fact, I hadn't seen too many in color either until Ger began acquiring Sunday comics sections of the NY Herald Tribune and began to post them. You can see more colors over there, including many originals that I sent him before I started Spectorphile.

1 comment:

J.V. (AKA "White Pongo") said...

Great stuff as always! Look forward to your Famous board post!